of the Wind
schooner Wings of the Wind was constructed by Bidwell, Banta & Company
of Buffalo, New York in 1855. The two-masted bulk carrier was 142 feet
long, 26 feet wide and drew 10 feet of water. Fully loaded, the 370 ton
Wings could carry 16,000 bushels of com.
In the early hours of May 12, 1866, the fore-and-aft rigged Wings was
inbound to Chicago with a load of 240 tons of coal. There was a strong
offshore breeze blowing, and the Wings of the Wind was beating in when
a considerably larger sailing ship suddenly appeared out of the darkness.
Before Captain John Gray could alter his course, the other vessel struck
amidships with such force that the Wings nearly keeled over. The other
ship, the lumber laden bark H.P. Baldwin, suffered little damage and continued
on its way. The side of the Wings, however, was badly stove in, and the
hold quickly flooded.
The uninjured crew boarded the yawl boat and rowed off a few yards. Their
shouts got the attention of the crew on the Baldwin, and she returned
to take them aboard.
Later that year an attempt to raise the Wings of the Wind was organized,
but in the end only her cargo of coal was salvaged. The bucket crane used to recover
the coal did considerable damage to the stern of the sunken Wings.
site of the Wings was soon forgotten, and remained undisturbed until located
by professional divers in 1987. These divers shared the location of the
Wings with a few of their friends, and word of the new dive site spread.
Within two weeks, divers had stripped the wreck of her hardware and loose
Although much has been removed, the Wings remains a very interesting dive.
The bow is intact and a large wooden windlass sits proudly on her deck.
bow sprit is in place and one of her masts lies in the sand off the port
bow. The centerboard trunk is also in place and provides an interesting
glimpse into marine architecture of that era. The wreck disappears into
the sand aft of the centerboard trunk, but the rudderpost remains visible
above the sand and conveys a sense of the full size of the ship.
The Underwater Archaeological
Society of Chicago encourages all divers to visit this shipwreck. Local charters
are available to take you to the site. Remember! Illinois law prohibits the removal
of anything from this or any other historic wreck. Please help preserve our maritime